The village is in the middle of a farming community and is surrounded by some interesting farm houses; not the least being Jubilee Tower farm. This turreted building, which is reputed to be haunted, was built by Henry Isaac Butterfield (of Cliffe Castle) to mark Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee in 1887. It served as lodgings for gamekeepers and woodsmen on the Butterfield estate, until bought and converted into a farm by Dutch professor Hans Beran in 1947 (he was to re-sell it 5 years later).
Overlooking Airedale hospital is Currer Wood farm and the imposing, Tudor-revivalist style building of Steeton Manor. It was built in 1894 by Sir Swire Smith, the noted technical educationalist and prominent textile manufacturer, who was liberal M.P. for Keighley from 1915 until his death in March 1918, aged 76. Currer Wood Farm is now owned by the Emmott family; farmer, George Emmott, being a noted breeder of Shire horses. Steeton Hall farm, to the river Aire side of the village, was also owned by the Emmott family.