It was officially opened on 11th December 1970, by H.R.H. Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, although the first patients had been admitted on 5th July 1970. Work began on the 32 acre site in September 1966, and was completed in February 1970, at a total cost of £5½ million. The hospital was designed by architect John Poulson (who was later jailed for his part in an unrelated corruption scandal), and it was based on an industrial building system using a pre-cast frame and cladding. The 643 beds when it was first opened replaced three hospitals: Keighley’s Victoria Hospital, built in 1876; St Johns Hospital, Keighley, built in 1870; and Morton Banks Hospital which was built 1896. These three hospitals were closed in July 1970.